Wednesday, November 13, 2019

organization



   “Once I began using the storefront as a public space, I began to see that an organization could be a flexible container for all kinds of things. I saw that the event format can get people directly involved with new ideas and topics. Art is a great excuse for things you want to do. Take curiosity and make an event. Invite that writer you’re obsessed with to give a reading. Offer a class on something you want to learn. Once I understood this, I started finding all these unexpected things that could fit into the Machine model.

   From then on, every time I met anyone interesting, I would extend an invitation to do something at Machine: a talk, a lecture, or a performance. Learning that everything was interesting if you looked closely helped my work as a curator and helped audiences experience new ideas as well.”


excerpt from Machine Project THE PLATINUM COLLECTION
By MARK ALLEN, CHARLOTTE COTTON and RACHEL SELIGMAN

No comments: