Monday, August 30, 2010

More thoughts about Graduate School

Top 5 reasons I will be going to grad school:

1. Get out of my happy bubble that is Detroit, if only for a little while.

2. Forced to stuff I don't naturally do, like reading a lot, in depth, for research. Make critical artwork that requires risk and forethought.

3. Be able to teach at a University, I tend to like most of the professors that I've met, even if it's a 'bad time to teach'

4. Improve my chances of having access to great opportunities from overseas residencies to funding.

5. Surround myself with a different kind of supportive environment, I've never been to an art school, I've never had to define my 'context' within art, and I've never had a critique so critical that it really made me think about changing everything.


So I've decided to help me make my decision about the Glasgow School of Art I will be flying into Scotland on Sept 20th and returning on the 28th!

I found these nice quotes tonite that I think are pertinent.

Before I travelled my road I was my road.  ~Antonio Porchia, Voces, 1943, translated from Spanish by W.S. Merwin


Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise.  Seek what they sought.  ~Matsuo Basho


Sometimes it's necessary to go a long distance out of the way in order to come back a short distance correctly.  ~Edward Albee


It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers.  ~James Thurber


Alice came to a fork in the road.
"Which road do I take?" she asked.

"Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat.

"I don't know," Alice answered.

"Then," said the cat,
 "it doesn't matter."
~Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland


Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought.  ~Henri Louis Bergson


Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.  ~Henry David Thoreau


When the student is ready, the master appears.  ~Buddhist Proverb



No comments: