Thursday, February 23, 2012

A proposal I just sent to another artist.

I'd be interested in meeting other artists in Glasgow for sure this way, but I think I was also interested in just hanging out maybe more than once a month to talk about whatever things are going on and brainstorm with other people how to make the process fun somehow, or perhaps it's just a mind-clearing exercise (art jam) and some artwork is made in the span of 2 hours that is a quick thing... 

actually! what if we made it like a show and tell of different art processes or disciplines and the point was to bring someone in that can talk about something they know really well and then it's paired up with someone/something completely different with the goal to see how could you cross both disciplines... 

There was a lecture series at a college where they would get 2 speakers to talk about their particular topic that would be seemingly complete opposites in terms of content. There were be both presentations for about 15-30 minutes, and then a discussion afterwards. Almost every time there were uncanny similarities even though neither presenter knew of what the other person was going to present on.

Also in my own practice the most fun thing that I do is actually take two different modes of working and combine them in ways that people have never really done before... 

This is something I'd really love, the question is, that a concept like this is dependent on a place that has 1. diverse people with a particular expertise that someone in the group would know about what they do to know what to invite them for. 2. Appropriate facilities and more technicians so that if we wanted to try, oh say, jump right into testing a Polaroid transfer onto a ceramic stone and then carve it, somehow we'd be able to jump right into this.

Or perhaps I'm forming the dreams of a future school that I'd like to be in...

EDIT:

So I talked about doing this at BRIEF where there is a theme and people try to make new work based on that theme so that there's some kind of structure to work with, but the one key element that I realized was that I am affected by labels, if this "school" was to work, it would need to actually NOT be called an art school, we could still be artists and make art, but what we  wouldn't call everything we made there "Art", somehow that seems like I would continue to work and learn happily if I didn't see it as reflecting on my entire practice...

No comments: