Sunday, March 11, 2012

People are e-mailing each other a NYT article that young people are lazier than ever.

I disagree with everything in this article: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/11/opinion/sunday/the-go-nowhere-generation.html

I'm actually excited to see people working for their parents or moving close back to be near family. I find it eerie that the authors of this article actually titled a book “Rush: Why You Need and Love the Rat Race.” Although perhaps young people should worry more about how to save up money for the future and that calculated risks are an important part of a fulfilling life, I don't see how they figured that linking being on the computer/internet goes against understanding the future economy. Wasting time is in fact a crucial part of being creative.

I'm all for a slacker generation that doesn't whine about how we should be able to achieve the american dream wherever we want to go, the story I'm hearing is that young people are realizing that they don't need to make as much money as their parents to be happy and they're more willing to stop and reflect on the bullshittiness of the american dream in the first place.

I'm going to let those who think that the protestant work ethic is the only way to be productive to tire themselves out and face a kind of personal reality that the harder you work for a paycheck, the less you will see work as meant for personal growth than for survival. When money becomes about survival than being a tool, a lot of meaningful things stop making sense.

I think that there is a myth going on about the youth of the US is lazier than ever, while I think the future looks a little bit more  like this:




Ok, well there was supposed to be an interesting webcomic, but I lost the link/image so I'll just have to sum it up for you... which sucks, because I spent a good part of the day trying to look for this image, which I feel like goes against what I was just saying in the first part...

Anyways the comic (i want to say it was xkcd) shows a kid on a computer next to an old hipster, the guy goes on being pretentious while the kid is fixated on the screen in front of him. When the kid is asked what he's up to he responds that he's working collaboratively on a song with multiple people around the world to the dismay of the old hipster. The old hipster then tries to say something about some famous guy playing in his basement and he gets asked to leave by the kid since he's focused trying to work on that collaborative composition.

Yup, so that was really uneventful in the fact that I just described a comic that I probably butchered that you can only imagine now... I still hate that opinion article though.

No comments: